PATENT/ UTILITY SOLUTION REGISTRATION IN VIETNAM Invention means a technical solution in the form of a product or a process which is intended to solve a problem by application of laws of nature. Patent shall be eligible for protection in the form of the grant of a Patent for Invention/ Utility Solution.
The Invention Patent is protected for 20 years and the Utility Solution Patent is protected for 10 years (cannot be extended).
General conditions for Patent registration in Vietnam – updated 2021
In order to be protected, this technical solution must be new, innovative and can be mass produced / applied (industrial application).
|Novelty||Inventive Step||Applicable industrial Step|
Time frame for patent registration in Vietnam
+ Formality examination: 1-2 months.
+ Publication of the application: 18 months.
+ Substantive examination: 19 months.
+ Granting Patents: 1-2 months.
Note: Applicants may request early publication, whereby the application publication time is shortened to 2 months.
Required documents for registration of invention or utility solutions
- A description of the technical solution (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Skype:trademarkattorneys for a sample description).
- Photos, pictures of technical solutions (if any).
- Owner / application owner information.
- Documents proving the right to apply (if any).
- Documents claiming for priority right (if any).
Differences of ABB Law
- ABB Law has submitted over 140+ inventions and utility solutions on behalf of customers in Vietnam.
- In addition to a team of law-savvy lawyers, ABB Law has a team of experts, technically savvy professionals, graduates of Polytechnic Universities, University of Transport, and Technical Academy.
- Package costs and one-time collection, always notice to the Customer first.
- Free Customer Support to change the form of registration from invention to utility solution.
- Free Customer Support for writing and completing patent description.
- Patent of invention / utility solution
- The invention patent is valid for 20 years (annual maintenance fee paid) – cannot be renewed.
- The utility solution patent is valid for 10 years (annual maintenance fee payment) – cannot be renewed.
#Cost registration fee, utility solution
The government cost of patent registration is only from 200$.
The fees are depending on the complication of the solution, the number of independent protection claims, the number of images …
Please contact ABB Law for an accurate price list.
How much does it cost for patent in Vietnam ?
The cost is depended on the number of independent claim, the page of patent description, figure….
Normally, it about 275 USD/ patent.
Is Vietnam member of PCT ?
Vietnam is a member of PCT treaty, Paris convention as well as.
How long does it take from filing to granting a patent in Vietnam ?
It often takes 36 months from filing to granting a patent registration in Vietnam.
The applicant could file a request of early publish. Therefor he can decrease 18 months.
What are required documents ?
– The information of Applicant
– The information of inventor.
– The patent description.
– The claims.
– Figures (If any).
– Document for priority Claim.
– International search report (If it is a PCT patent).
– The power of Attorney.