How much does it cost to register a patent in Vietnam. An invention will be protected by mode of grant of invention patent or utility solution patent. When filing a patent application, individuals and organizations not only need to prepare all registration documents but also need to know the specific cost of patent registration.
Regulations on cost to register a patent in Vietnam
- Circular No.263/2016/TT-BTC on fees and charges for industrial property and the collection, transfer, management and use thereof
- Decree on detailing and guiding the implementation of a number of articles of the law on fees and charges
- Notification No.5241/TB-SHTT on guiding on paying patent registration fees and charges through the State Treasury
What is the basis for calculating the cost of patent registration in Vietnam?
Patent registration procedure will be divided into different examination stages and the cost of patent registration will be calculated according to the patent registration application examination process.
- Process of formality examination
- Process of substantive examination
- Process of granting invention patent
- Process of maintaining patent validity
Fee for registering patent in Vietnam.
Patent registration fees and charges are those that an applicant must pay in order to be granted a Protection Title with respect to an invention.
Circular No. 263/2016 / TT-BTC has specific provisions on cost to register a patent in Vietnam, shall detail these fees as follows:
- Official charge for filing application: VND 150,000/ 01 application;
- Fee for formality examination: VND 180,000/ 01 independent point;
- Fee for formality examination from page 7 of the description onward: VND 8,000/ 01 page;
- Fee for publication of valid application: VND 120,000/ 01 application;
- Fee for publication of valid application from the 2nd image onwards VND 60,000/ 01 image;
- Fee for examination of requesting priority (if any): VND 600,000/ 01 priority application;
- Fee for the patent search for the examination process: VND 600,000/ 01 independent point;
- Fee for substantive examination: VND 720,000/ 01 independent point;
- Fee for substantive examination from page 7 of the description onward: VND 32,000/ 01 page.
Note: In the section “International patent classification” in the written declaration, the applicant shall state the classification criteria of technical solutions sought to be protected according to the latest International Patent Classification (under the Strasbourg Agreement) published by the IPVN in the Industrial Property Official Gazette. If the applicant fails to classify or correctly classify, the IPVN shall conduct the classification and the applicant shall pay a classification service fee as prescribed (VND 100,000/ 01 international patent classification).
How to file patent registration application in Vietnam?
The applicant may file required documents for patent registration directly or via postal service to one of the IPVN’s application receiving places, namely as follows:
- Head Office of IPVN, address: 386 Nguyen Trai, Thanh Xuan District, Hanoi City.
- Representative Office of IPVN in Ho Chi Minh City, address: 7th Floor, Ha Phan Building, 17/19 Ton That Tung, Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City.
- Representative Office of IPVN in Da Nang City, address: 3rd floor, 135 Minh Mang, Khue My ward, Ngu Hanh Son district, Da Nang city.
- Online Filing: send to firstname.lastname@example.org [ABB Law]
In case of filing an application by post, the application charges/ fees must be transferred by postal service and attach a copy of the Money Transfer Receipt to application.
Note: If the fee or charge is transferred to one of the above-mentioned IPVN’s application-receiving places, the applicant must send the dossier to the corresponding application-receiving point).